Tuesday, December 09, 2008

That's News "For" Me


In my last post I gave you a glimpse of my own personal reteller channel –the network of retellers who influence me. But I neglected to talk about how I gather all my news in one place. Like many on-line news junkies, I use iGoogle, a news aggregator that collects top stories, my RSS feeds, weather, stock updates, etc. onto one clean dashboard that I can design, change, and add gadgets to whenever I want. Essentially it’s news just for me – and I love it!

But is the emergence of news aggregators good news or bad news to pr and marketing professionals? Well, a little bit of both.

The good news is that we can track all the news about our clients and the industries we cover in one place. By being able to easily monitor multiple retellers, we get a greater understanding of the types of stories they want to tell.

The bad news is that because more and more people are “pulling” news from the web on their own terms, your story may be missed if they’re not subscribing the Reteller channels carrying your story. One way around this is to make sure your channel includes retellers with high visibility and proven audience appeal. We also recommend making it easy as possible for others to track your news by using key words in your press releases that will help them find you. And finally make sure your newsroom and blogs are set up to supply RSS feeds so if people want to subscribe to your news – they can.