Thursday, January 07, 2010

Out With the Old - Bring in the New!


Our firm has recently changed offices. While getting ready for the move, I decided to start purging old files. What did I find? Hundreds and hundreds of newspaper clippings, DVDs and VHS tapes of broadcast coverage from past clients. I even found old Bacon’s Media books. I couldn’t bare to throw them. After all, whenever we get a new recruit, I have to be able to show them how tough media research used to be and how lucky they are to use today’s on-line tools. I also found slide viewers, boxes of white-out, two typewriters, and old business cards.

I don’t know why I kept these items, but I couldn’t help but laugh when I found them. It reminded me how much things have changed, and how much we continually have to adapt to an ever-changing business world. Remember when email was new? Websites? When CDs replaced Zip discs? When DVD’s replaced VHS tapes of coverage? Remember clipping services vs. online tracking? And heck, I can’t even remember life without Google.

I know as an industry of marketing and pr professionals, we’ve recently had to adapt to a whole new set of tools all over again. We’ve had to master social media, search engine optimization, on-line marketing, viral marketing, inbound marketing and a whole pile of new marketing tools, portals, terminology and more. But I say, “enjoy the new while it lasts!” Someday we’re going to stumble upon our old linked-in page, Youtube video, blog, or e-book and say, “Oh, yeah, I remember those days.” And guess what? There will be something brand new waiting to replace or enhance them.